Friday, August 18, 2006

When can a hunter melee?

A hunter should never rely on melee. I know this and so does just about every other good hunter in the game. For this post though I'm going to describe a talent build and some situations where a hunter should use what he always has available, the mighty melee weapon.

The inspiration behind this post is my recent goody from Zul'gurub, the halberd of Smiting. Before you start bashing me for rolling on it or spending DKP let me first say this. None of the warriors wanted it and it was going to get disenchanted. So I decided to grab it and check it out basically to write this post. No DKP spent.

Good news is that the Halberd, even though it has no stats for a hunter still hits insanely hard. Normal hits peak at about 450 vs leather, and crits can jump as high as 1374(largest I've got). With raptor strike it hits for a ton, and the weapon proc hits for an ass load... Perfect warrior weapon. So the question is, when do you use it?



My build pre Halberd was 5/31/15. Perfect build for raiding.
After the Halberd I went with 0/21/30 Great build for pvp. Please note that I put 2 points into savage strikes just for the polearm.

The BEST part about this build and the Halberd is the chance to crit with Raptor Strike. My Default chance to crit with a melee weapon is 11.5%, 2 points into Savage Strikes is 31.5%, with Killer Instinct (2 points) 33.5% and a 25 agility enchant on the Halberd would add another .5% chance to crit. Bringing the grand total to 32% chance to crit with Raptor Strike and this is with my 1 item that has a +1% chance to crit on it, so better gear would of course boost it even higher.

32% chance to crit with Raptor Strike + halberd of Smiting + Proc = PAIN!

It is possible against a clothy to hit them for more 1500 with a Raptor strike, and untill the 1.12 patch it's also possible for the proc during the Raptor Strike to hit them for another 1200 if it crits. When was the last time you've seen a hunter run up to a mage and 1 shot him with a polearm? Sounds kind of nice doesn't it.

Even though it's fun to cut people this is not what the 0/21/30 build is all about. I can't say this enough HUNTERS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO MELEE! the tatic with this build is to immobilize your target if they get to close to you, run away and put an arrow in em. The only reason the Halberd is good is the proc, it goes off often. So with a Wing Clip you have a chance to add another 676-1200 damage to it. With a Counter Attack same thing, Boom 676-1200 damage. Not to mention if you are close enough and the cool down is up throw a Raptor strike in with it, or when you get a chance Mongoose Bite. After you leave your target immobilized and in pain back up and finish them off with a head shot.

So do I think the Halberd is a good weapon for hunters, yes and no. Raid specced hunters would never have a use for it. PVP specced hunters would enjoy the proc. So my final word of advice. If it's going to get disenchanted take it and have fun trying out a new spec, but NEVER EVER take it from a warrior or paladin. That's just wrong. They'll get far better use out of it then you ever will.

Before anyone has a chance to bash me for having it.. OMGZ Look hunter with a Halberd nub nub nub ROFLCOPTERS! Learn2play NUB! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Hexa said...

When I played my hunter I did have a big frigging 2-hander for pvp. Just like your build your get a very good crit chance with raptor strike and sometimes that it all it takes to take out an opponent that has gotten through your defenses.

However in instances I did equip my duals...

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home